The Planning and Zoning Department promotes the public health, safety and welfare through the application of sound planning practices to the administration of the Town’s comprehensive plan, zoning, subdivision, and site development regulations. We will help our community attain its long-term vision through comprehensive planning that takes into account the future needs of our citizens and businesses, as well as our natural and built environments. The short-term goals of our community will be achieved through fair and equitable ordinance enforcement and by offering planning assistance to citizens, businesses, and the Town’s elected and appointed officials. We value the quality of life of our citizens, our growing economy, our Town’s rich heritage, and our natural and built environments.
Planning and Zoning Announcements
- The Town is currently undertaking a project for Harbor Area Architectural Design Standards. The Town has hired CMSS Architects to provide consulting services for the project.
- New policies and regulations for trees have recently been adopted by the Town Council. Click here for more information.
Online Planning Files
Boards and Commissions
In addition to the Town Council, the Planning and Zoning Department provides staff support to the following boards and commissions, which each have their own web page. All meetings are held in the Municipal Building, 2 Plum Street, on the second floor.
If you are interested in serving on one of these important Boards or Commission, please complete the Cape Charles Boards and Commission Application and return it to us to be placed on a waiting list.
- Planning Commission - Serves as an advisory body to the Town Council for planning-related matters. Regular sessions are held the first Tuesday of every month at 6:00pm. Public hearings and work sessions are scheduled on an as-needed basis.
- Historic District Review Board - Oversees the Town's Historic District. Regular sessions are held the third Tuesday of every month at 4:30pm. Work sessions are scheduled on an as-needed basis.
- Board of Zoning Appeals - Hears zoning appeals and reviews variance and special exception applications. Meetings are scheduled on an as-needed basis.
- Wetlands and Coastal Dune Board - Reviews applications for certain activities in wetlands and dune areas. Meetings are scheduled on an as-needed basis.
- Harbor Area Review Board - Oversees the Town's Historic Harbor Area Overlay District. The Harbor Area Review Board has the power and authority for issuing or denying Certificates of Appropriateness for construction, reconstruction, substantial exterior alteration, razing, or relocation within the Historic Harbor Area Overlay District. Regular meetings are held on the third Thursday of every month, as needed, whenever an application has been filed requiring their consideration.
Please visit the minutes web page to view the latest minutes of the Planning Commission and Boards.
Multi-Use Trail Project
Cape Charles is in the process of creating a multi-use trail with the goal of providing better muntimodal transportation facilities and to connect different areas of Town, including the Historic District, the harbor area and the Bay Creek development.
Please click here to view the Cape Charles Community Trail Master Plan and project files.
Staff Contact Information
Town Planner Tom Bonadeo's office is located in the Municipal Building, 2 Plum Street, on the second floor. His contact information is provided below. Feel free to contact Tom with any planning or zoning related questions you may have.
2 Plum Street
Cape Charles, VA 23310
phone - 757-331-3259 x15
fax - 757-331-4820
email - email@example.com.